Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Memories of the BFFI

The British Fly Fair in late October was the biggest gathering of fly fishing enthusiasts I have witnessed to date, so it comes as no surprise it made a lasting impression on me.


I learned many things, among them that fruit flavored alcohol is popular with European fly fishermen, but Sloe Vodka from the north west part is not the same thing as Sliwovitz from the center of the continent (no use trying to strip paint with Mr. Tango's creation)


I learned that in Scandinavia it takes a bear of a man to tie the most delicate and graceful dry flies.


I experienced the warm welcome of my Slavic cousins from Serbia on Zoran's flies stand and I was invited to the famed Chinese dinner by the gang from the UK Fly Dressing forum (too bad I didn't take any pictures there)


I gazed in awe at the work of masters of the salmon fly, which is a style quite foreign to my land locked country.


I learned that the fly tying art in Scotland has style to match its formidable traditions...


...and that its appeal is not lost on the youngest generation.


But most of all I had a great time! My thanks to all who made my visit such a memorable experience :)

No comments:

Post a Comment